History

This is Halzephron Cliff, part of a beautiful walk through Gunwalloe. Halzephron is Cornish for Hells Cliff; Gunwalloe has a long history of shipwrecks and pirate activity and wrecks and wrecking.

The name, Gunwalloe, is thought to come from old Cornish, meaning 'open land'.

Gunwalloe was the first community in Cornwall to be mentioned in the Domesday Book as a result of the King's Winnianton Manor (by Church Cove).

Parts of the Church of the Storms date back to the the 13th century, along with its bell tower.

The Halzephron Inn dates back to 1468.

Parish of Gunwalloe, includes: "The village school was at Berepper where an average of 20 pupils attended in the 1880s. There were only a few commercial premises, at Berepper and Chyanvounder, namely a shop, the Ship Inn, and a Blacksmith. The other commercial ventures revolved mainly around farming."

A map of Gunwalloe, circa 1908. Interesting that Halzelphron was then known as Halsferran.

Some cool old pictures of Gunwalloe, from the Helston Museum.

Gunwalloe used to be part of the Penrose Estate. It was sold off in the early 1960s.

Gunwalloe Feast Day is March 3rd, although this has not been celebrated for many years. Feast day actually marks the death of Winwaloe, who died on March 3, 1532.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poldark Filming at Gunwalloe